[CentOS] Failing Network card

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Wed Jun 20 17:44:28 UTC 2012

On 6/20/2012 11:09 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> That's interesting.  Here are the log entries for the previous card as
> well as the eth4 that is currently installed.
>
> # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:e0:b3:10:f6:81", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth3"
>
> # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:e0:b3:10:fc:6e", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth4"
have you deleted all the information from udev of the old card you
pulled out.
Could be an issue, not sure, if you are using the same slot ?
Sometimes you get bad batches though and one failure can mean many more too.

if both cards had the same issue, then I doubt udev or any of that is at
fault.
Having to unplug power to the machine is odd, but would support a bad
card idea.

Try instead of pulling plug, rebooting but unplugging network cable
first, see if that has an effect.

I would just return it and get a different type of card...or try an
extra one you have lying around.

All I know is with computers is come down to two things
1) its broke, return it
2) its something really silly, usually one misconfiguration or error,
something simple but overlooked.