[CentOS] Failing Network card

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jun 20 19:41:24 UTC 2012

On 06/20/12 12:21 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I am being persuaded that you are right.  I'll have to look at the
> mother board to answer Dale's question; the machine and the nic card
> came from Fry's.  I have had pretty good luck with Fry's in the past,
> but this has turned out to be a real pain.
>
> What chip set, or what pci-e nic card would you recommend?

I've had good luck with Intel ethernet chips/cards, especially the
server oriented ones.

one of my recent servers has these NICs...

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 06)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 06)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)
07:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)

another has...

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
Connection
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
Connection

these are both recent Xeon 5600 class CPUs.  The first is a HP DL380g6,
the 2nd is a whitebox server with a SuperMicro X8DTE-F motherboard.