[CentOS] Failing Network card

Chuck Munro chuckm at seafoam.net
Thu Jun 21 16:32:59 UTC 2012

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:54:33 -0700
> From: John R Pierce<pierce at hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Failing Network card
> To:centos at centos.org
>
> On 06/20/12 8:44 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> >  01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> >  RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev ff)
 >
> pure unmitigated junk.
>
> -- john r pierce N 37, W 122 santa cruz ca mid-left coast

I agree with John's comment.  Realtek chips are junk with unpredictable
reliability, especially under heavy load.  I have had several problems
with various versions of the 81xx chips.  When I tossed the cards in the
garbage and switched to Intel-based NICs, all the problems went away.

Every time I build systems with Realtek network chips on the
motherboard, I disable them in the BIOS and add Intel NICs instead.

YMMV, but please consider ditching Realtek altogether.

Chuck