[CentOS] converting .doc to html

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Jun 22 22:11:18 UTC 2012

On 6/22/2012 3:56 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> Unicode became usable over a
> decade ago, and became solid in most programs years ago.

You know, thinking about it, I believe I've sold the Unicode on Linux
stability story short.  It's about a decade since it became solid, so
"usable" must be considerably farther back; 2000, maybe?  That makes
sense, since Plan9 switched to UTF-8 in 1999.

I use Perl as my benchmark for Unicode stability.  RHEL 2.1 (March 2002)
shipped Perl 5.6 (March 2000), which was usable but dodgy in some ways
w.r.t. Unicode.  RHEL 3 (October 2003) shipped Perl 5.8 (July 2002),
which fixed almost everything with Unicode handling.  Each Perl since
then has had Unicode changes, but they've just been small bug fixes and
updates to track new Unicode specs.  The core mechanisms haven't changed
since 5.8.