[CentOS] partitions vs. LVs [was: Re: How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2]

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Sun Jun 24 02:33:02 UTC 2012

On 06/23/2012 05:36 PM Keith Roberts wrote:

> IIRC that happened a some years ago with Ubuntu.
> Ever since that happened I've been wary of the various
> different custom options available from different Linux
> distros. I just use the Gparted Live CD to do any partition
> work. I don't use LVM either yet, so that's not a problem
> for me now.

Keith,

Years ago I used to create a half dozen partitions from the CLI in an
afternoon and move things around.  It was even fun to do.  But no more.
  LVMs are so cool... you don't have to worry anymore about how big this
and that partition should, never worry about running out of space on a
partition, because with LVM it's simple to make a volume bigger.  No
need to move data around.  LVM is great, well worth using.  If you've
got some spare space on a drive, you should give a try.  You won't go
back to partitions.