[CentOS] Install 6.2 via wireless

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Sat Jun 2 10:10:03 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 06:25 PM, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have a HP 8540w workstation, and just for kicks, I wanted to see if
> I could install Centos 6.2 using only the wireless connection, and
> the cd/dvd reader.
>
> I tried the "net-install" CD image, but it never found the wireless adaptor.
>
> How for up the chain must I go to succeed?
> Net-install (doesn-work)
> CD containing minimal
> DVD containing the full image?
>
> This effort was more than academic; one of my clients has a box that
> is connected only through wireless, and we need to do the install.
>
> Any advice you may have would be appreciated.

Why not grab the DVD and install from there.  You have every package on
the DVD and you don't even need a network at all to do the install.

Most standard wireless cards are detected and do work, but if it is a
one time install, the DVD is a sure bet.

It is also great to have the DVD already downloaded and not have to do
it from the client's site.