[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this? - general report

Max Pyziur

pyz at brama.com
Sun Jun 3 21:19:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:
>>
>> My personal goal was to preserve the topology of the disk layout, as well
>> as the configurations.
>
> Which are trivial to reproduce.   And potentially improve in the process.

It may be trivial for you, but not for me.

>>> And you still have yet to explain what you think the result of the
>>> extra hours of downloading and work has gained compared to a clean
>>
>> What extra hours? The downloading was done overnight, the diskburning was
>> relatively quick.
>
> You did mention several intermediate versions that would not have been
> needed.  You can't possibly claim it did not take extra time.

I measured the amount of time that it took against a recent FC14->FC15
upgrade via DVD. That took the bulk of a weekend.

This series of sequential upgrades took a few hours.

>>> install and copying your data back.   As far as I can see, it is a
>>> bunch of orphaned files, a wildly fragmented disk layout, and probably
>>
>> This is now an example of a casebook fallacy - a strawman argument. W/o
>> investigating anything, you've projected a set of unsubstantiated
>> qualifications on a situation and are now arguing against them.
>
> No, I'm asking what you think you gained, and you still can't describe
> how your result is an improvement over a fresh install.

Ok, I sense that there is some sort of affront and that you need to defend
yourself. I'm not challenging you, your experience, your capabilities, and
your knowledge. They are commendable.

Nevertheless, what several individuals, including yourself, have presented
is that a fresh install is the optimal solution; anything else has
elevated risk. In my case, I've preserved my disk topology and my
configurations, which was one of my priorities; I've expended a few hours,
and I'm doing other things.

>> The 2TB disk is where backups for several resident machines resides
>> (notebooks, desktops); it's about 84% full. Admittedly, there's space for
>> configurations, but that was not my first interest (I think that I've
>> stated that at least twice).
>
> Yes, you did say that, but why?   Did you just want to prove it can be
> done the hard way, or do you think your machine is somehow better now?

Never said this is the hard way; but it definitely is not that
challenging, especially since I don't have the experience or knowledge of
yeoman sysadmins.

And I'm not seeking to win a trophy for my machine; I'm seeking basic and
simple continuity.

fyi,

MP
pyz at brama.com