[CentOS] Centos 6 - Networking: Some Queries -- GURUS HELP PL

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jun 15 06:17:50 UTC 2012

On 06/14/12 10:51 PM, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> True Enough but the adsl Ip range is not in my control as you have
> assumed correctly.

when you bridge virtual hosts to a LAN, they appear just like they are
real machines plugged into the same LAN.  they'll each get their own IP
from the ADSL router's DHCP.

why is this a problem?  are you not allowed to plug in multiple systems?

as I previously explained, if you create a separate subnet for your VMs,
you'll need to route them, and ALL the hosts on the LAN including the
ADSL internet gateway will need to know this route or they (and the
internet) wont work for those VMs.   alternately, you use NAT, and then
your VM's aren't externally visible, but they can connect out to the
internet (which will appear to your router like your host system is
doing the connections)