[CentOS] CentOS 6.2-x86-64

Gene Heskett

gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jun 20 21:27:32 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 20 June 2012 17:08:11 Nate Duehr did opine:

> On Jun 20, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I found a yumex, which is not part of the 64 bit install, but it wants
> > a way older version of python-2.4 whereas we have 2.6.6-something
> > after the post install upgrade.
> >
> > 1st Question:
> > Is there anything that can be done about this?  Or is there something
> > better, like a 64 bit synaptic to replace yumex?
>
> You may be unfamiliar with CentOS in that many tools you might find
>  "standard" on regular distros, aren't part of the upstream package list
>  for "Enterprise" Linux.  As delivered from upstream, it's a fairly
>  "stripped" distro.
>
> Yumex is not packaged by upstream, so it's not part of CentOS proper.
>
> However, there are repositories that build packages to run under CentOS
>  which aren't part of upstream or CentOS, such as EPEL:
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> yumex in particular, if you're partial to it, is available in various
>  flavors, all ready to install.

I did find one, needed pexpect and python-kitchen, but its favorite way of
quitting is by a crash when fiddling with the repo editor.

As for partiality, no way, synaptic, adapted for rpms is by far the best
package manager I've used in the last 5 years since I bailed on fedora at
about 6 or so.

> > Mail problem:
> >
> > I've been using a fetchmail -> procmail system here for years to
> > unload kmail from its mail pulling duties, making it many times easier
> > to use.
> >
> > Adjuncts to that are spamassassin, clamav, and mailfilter
> >
> > There appears not to be any 64 bit builds of clamav and mailfilter.
>
> Many 32-bit packages run just fine on 64-bit CentOS via the use of
>  32-bit libraries.

I just pulled the clamav stuff, not terribly complete unless the utils are
part of the main package, but have not attempted an rpm -ivh on that kit
yet.  I got the huge majority of the stuff with FF, at
<http://choonrpms.mirror.choon.net/centos/6.2/choonrpms/x86_64/>
which I found via a google search.

> A quick look through a machine that has both stock CentOS software
>  repositories and EPEL enabled shows that there are packages for all of
>  the above, except mailfilter.  Mailfilter appears to be somewhat
>  Debian-centric and the Debian-distro-derivatives all seem to have
>  updated packages.  I've never used it, even though I'm a fan of both
>  "camps" for various things.

So am I, I have 3 other machines here, all running Ubuntu-10.04 LTS, with
two of them essentially frozen in time re kernel versions because that are
the cnc heart of some of my machine tools.

> Looking it over, it looks like it utilizes POP to go take a look at mail
>  and dump spam prior to the POP transfer of whatever is left over?
>  Honestly, most folks have moved on to IMAP, long ago... IMHO.  YMMV.
>
> The advent of large data pipes, even in residential service in most
>  areas, and effective local filtering probably means that mailfilter is
>  marginalized non-mainstream software, at best, these days.

I'm getting close to that in N. Central WV, phone and internet are on the
local cable, getting about 385k/sec dl speeds on average.  But I have kept
my own email corpus here since 1998, over 7Gb of it now, and old, probably
bad habits are hard to break.  Old being relative of course since I'm only
slightly younger than dirt at 77.  Retired (almost, I take a small plane
ride tomorrow to go look at a transmitter that is off the air) from the
local CBS affiliate as the CE from 1984.9 to 2002.6.

> Doing some quick Googling, mailfilter doesn't seem very popular at all
>  with the RedHat-derivative camp.  The only distro that seems to have
>  ever had it pre-packaged is Mandriva.  You might look at whatever
>  changes they made to make their x86_64 package.  It's not in Fedora
>  either...

Thanks, I'll see if I can google that when I get back from the trip & get
over my aches & pains from crawling around in that elderly Harris 50kw
transmitter.

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/m*?_csrf_token=1320052a8
> a44a38e84b472e63f9cba4db006ea38
>
> Nate

Thanks Nate, I appreciate the speedy response!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes to be saved."
-- Butler