[CentOS] Python version fights.

Gene Heskett

gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jun 24 07:12:40 UTC 2012

On Sunday 24 June 2012 03:06:14 Chris Geldenhuis did opine:

> On 06/24/2012 02:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greets;
> >
> > This centos6.2 system seems to have python-2.6.6, but that is turning
> > into a huge problem because I now have a backlog of about 40 packages
> > that will not upgrade because they all need python 2.4.
> >
> > That, and importing gpg keys doesn't seem to be helping in that
> > regard.
> >
> > But first, how to go about down grading python to 2.4?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Down grading to Python 2.4 will break your CentOS 6.2 system. Rather
> install python 2.4 side by side with 2.6 and
> point the packages that need to use 2.4 to it by changing the first line
> in the scripts to #!/usr/bin/python2.4 instead of #!/usr/bin/python.
>
> I have had to do this the other way around on CentOS nad Red Hat 4
> systems where I needed newer features and it work well.
>
> The instructions on how to do this are included in the tarball
> downloaded from the Python site.
>
> ChrisG

This is not something that is available via yum?

In which case why do I have 30 or 40 packages that are being called
security updates, released in the last week, that still need the older
python?  Something  doesn't grok here.  Like maybe I have the wrong repos
enabled?

Maybe, a yum repolist says rpmfusion is for el5, maybe that is what I need
to fix.  How?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Mr. Rockford?  You don't know me, but I'd like to hire you.  Could
you call me at...  My name is... uh...  Never mind, forget it!
		-- "The Rockford Files"