[CentOS] Optimizing grep, sort, uniq for speed

Gordon Messmer

yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Jun 28 19:22:18 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 12:15 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> You have two major performance problems in this script.  First, UTF-8
> processing is slow.  Second, wildcards are EXTREMELY SLOW!

Naturally, you should test both on your own data.  I'm amused to admit
that I tested my own advice against my mail log and got more improvement
from the LANG setting than the string prefix.  The combination of the
two reduced the amount of time to run your your pattern against my mail
logs by about 90%.