[CentOS] OT - Is there a package to monitor network traffic

Thu Jun 14 17:07:25 UTC 2012
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

We have a situation here that is a real mystery.

Our MRTG on our outgoing router  and a firewall server that protects our
web servers is showing a spike every six hours. I can't find the server
behind the firewall that is generating such an extreme amount of
packets, even though I've looked through the crontabs of nearly all
servers, performed "ps" variations, and other types of investigation.

Is there any type of package I can install that will monitor traffic and
report abnormal, over-threshold packets similar to what wireshark might
do in a manner that would allow me to determine where these packets
might be going or from where they originate?

Thanks for any help.

steve campbell