[CentOS] CentOS 6.2: suspending vim with ctrl-z and resuming with fg - stopped working

Fri Jun 8 21:12:30 UTC 2012
Phoenix, Merka <merka.phoenix at hp.com>

If you just need to jump out to the bash shell and execute a few commands,
why not use the 'shell' command that is part of Vi/Vim?

Press the ':' key to get to the Vi ':' prompt, then type 'shell' and press return.
This spawns a subshell, running your shell CLI, where you can execute the commands you wanted to run.

To return to the Vi/Vim parent process, just type 'exit' at the shell's command prompt to close the session and return to Vi/Vim session.

Works across most Linux and UNIX platforms, with both 'vi' and 'vim'

Cheers!

Simba
Engineering