[CentOS] Update issue - tar package problem?

Mon Jun 11 15:25:49 UTC 2012
Leonard den Ottolander <leonard at den.ottolander.nl>

Hello Tom,

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 15:48 +0100, Tom Brown wrote:
> well yes - but tar is not removed, that is the point,

I guess I'll have to take your word for it as there is nothing in what
you mention that verifies this statement. rpm -ql tar will not verify
that any files are actually there, just that they got installed at some
point.

Did you verify /bin/tar was actually there before you did the yum
localinstall? Perhaps a colleague playing a prank on you? Or an
accidental removal while using mc without confirmation on delete
enabled?

Since both x86_64 packages *and* i386 packages seem to be
missing /bin/tar I doubt this is a multi arch issue.

Regards,
Leonard.