[CentOS] space problem

Wed Jun 13 18:00:03 UTC 2012
Steven Tardy <sjt5 at its.msstate.edu>

On 06/13/2012 12:18 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> CentOS 6.2. I have a 2TB drive, one partition, which is used for online
> backups. It filled up the other day. I moved a couple of b/u directories
> off it, and deleted the originals, which should have given me 42G free. I
> also reduced the reserved blocks by 1/3rd.
>
> I've just finished an fsck, which it needed anyway, and in which there was
> a problem in an HTREE directory node.
>
> df *still* tells me that there are zero bytes free.
>
> Clues?

maybe the files you removed are still open by some other process?
info unlink
      The `unlink' function deletes the file name FILENAME.  If this is
      a file's sole name, the file itself is also deleted.  (Actually,
      if any process has the file open when this happens, deletion is
      postponed until all processes have closed the file.)

use lsof to find processes which might still have the file open.