[CentOS] OT - Is there a package to monitor network traffic

Fri Jun 15 11:46:28 UTC 2012
Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com>

On 06/15/2012 06:43 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:
> On 14/06/2012 18:07, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> We have a situation here that is a real mystery.
>>
>> Our MRTG on our outgoing router  and a firewall server that protects our
>> web servers is showing a spike every six hours. I can't find the server
>> behind the firewall that is generating such an extreme amount of
>> packets, even though I've looked through the crontabs of nearly all
>> servers, performed "ps" variations, and other types of investigation.
>>
>> Is there any type of package I can install that will monitor traffic and
>> report abnormal, over-threshold packets similar to what wireshark might
>> do in a manner that would allow me to determine where these packets
>> might be going or from where they originate?
>> tp://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
> I used to quite like iptraf for a quick summary view of the traffic use.
> Don't know if there is a CentOS package for it.

iptraf-ng.i686                            1.1.1-2.el6                   epel
trafshow.i686                             5.2.3-6.el6                   epel

are both pretty good.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*