[CentOS] Resizing est4 filesystem while mounted

Mon Jun 18 20:09:01 UTC 2012
Jeff Boyce <jboyce at meridianenv.com>

Replying to the daily digest, with my response at the bottom.

>Message: 13
>Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:22:08 -0700
>From: Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Resizing est4 filesystem while mounted
>To: centos at centos.org
>
>On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:10:09PM -0700, Jeff Boyce wrote:
>> Greetings -
>>
>> I had a logical volume that was running out of space on a virtual
>> machine.
>> I successfully expanded the LV using lvextend, and lvdisplay shows that
>> it
>> has been expanded. Then I went to expand the filesystem to fill the new
>> space (# resize2fs -p /dev/vde1) and I get the results that the
>> filesystem
>> is already xx blocks long, nothing to do. If I do a # df -h, I can see
>> that
>> the filesystem has not been extended. I could kick the users off the VM,
>> reboot the VM using a GParted live CD and extend the filesystem that way,
>> but I thought that it was possible to do this live and mounted? The RH
>> docs
>> say this is possible; the man page for resize2fs also says it is possible
>> with ext4. What am I missing here? This is a Centos 6.2 VM with an ext4
>> filesystem. The logical volumes are setup on the host system which is
>> also
>> a Centos 6.2 system.
>
>Try resize4fs (assuming your FS is ext4).
>
>Ray

Well, I have never seen a reference to resize4fs before (and yes my FS is
ext4).  It is not on my Centos 6.2 system, and doing a little searching
through repositories for that specifically, or e4fsprogs, and I can't find
it anywhere to even try it.  Any google reference seems to point back to
resize2fs.  I ended up booting a live SystemRescueCD and using GParted via
the GUI.  My notes indicate that is what I had done previously also.  I am
still stumped, everything that I have read indicates that resize2fs can do a
live resizing on ext4 file systems.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?  Is
the reason I can't do this because it is on an LVM logical volume?  Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
Meridian Environmental