[CentOS] Resizing est4 filesystem while mounted

Tue Jun 19 04:25:50 UTC 2012
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 06/18/2012 03:09 PM, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> Well, I have never seen a reference to resize4fs before (and yes my FS is
> ext4).  It is not on my Centos 6.2 system, and doing a little searching
> through repositories for that specifically, or e4fsprogs, and I can't find
> it anywhere to even try it.  Any google reference seems to point back to
> resize2fs.  I ended up booting a live SystemRescueCD and using GParted via
> the GUI.  My notes indicate that is what I had done previously also.  I am
> still stumped, everything that I have read indicates that resize2fs can do a
> live resizing on ext4 file systems.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?

In CentOS 5.x ext4 was experimental, and there was a separate "e4fsprogs"
package containing the tools for working with it.  As of version 6.0,
ext4 is considered mainstream, and the tools have been merged back under
the ext2 umbrella, just as with ext3.

                 Do NOT delete it.