[CentOS] partitions vs. LVs [was: Re: How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2]

Sun Jun 24 07:05:30 UTC 2012
Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>

On Sunday 24 June 2012 03:03:53 ken did opine:

> On 06/23/2012 05:36 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> >
> > IIRC that happened a some years ago with Ubuntu.
> > Ever since that happened I've been wary of the various
> > different custom options available from different Linux
> > distros. I just use the Gparted Live CD to do any partition
> > work. I don't use LVM either yet, so that's not a problem
> > for me now.
>
> Keith,
>
> Years ago I used to create a half dozen partitions from the CLI in an
> afternoon and move things around.  It was even fun to do.  But no more.
>   LVMs are so cool... you don't have to worry anymore about how big this
> and that partition should, never worry about running out of space on a
> partition, because with LVM it's simple to make a volume bigger.  No
> need to move data around.  LVM is great, well worth using.  If you've
> got some spare space on a drive, you should give a try.  You won't go
> back to partitions.

And what do you do when this LVM goes corrupt in about a month?  I've had
it self destruct on me twice.  I hate it when that happens.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"Maintain an awareness for contribution -- to your schedule, your project,
our company."
-- A Group of Employees