[CentOS] partitions vs. LVs [was: Re: How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2]

Sun Jun 24 16:42:18 UTC 2012
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012, ken wrote:

> It helps during their creation, rather than just accepting the defaults,
> to give the LVs meaningful names.  But even if you don't:
>
> # df -H
> Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-lvroot
>                         31G    12G    18G  39% /
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-lvtmp
>                        195M    55M   131M  30% /tmp
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-lvvar
>                         21G   1.2G    19G   6% /var
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-lvhome
>                        185G    40G   136G  23% /home
> /dev/hda3              518M    46M   446M  10% /boot
>

> Where's the difficulty?

OK. But what about a drive that is already partitioned with
live data on it. Is it easy to make that work with LVM, or
does it mean I have to do a fresh installation to use LVM?

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net