[CentOS] Question about storage for virtualisation

Fri Jun 29 22:39:34 UTC 2012
Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de>

Am 29.06.2012 20:17, schrieb Nate Duehr:

> On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe there's any more or less need to do so.  I would
>> strongly recommend that you not segregate / and /usr.  Fedora and future
>> versions of RHEL/CentOS will expect a unified / and /usr.
>
> I may be behind, but this is the first I've heard of this...
>
> Any good references as to WHY?! they want to break this decades old convention?

Decades old I'll grant you, but hardly a convention anymore.
There was a time when this made sense ... about twenty-five
years ago. We didn't have journaling filesystems then, fsck was
still new, and if your root filesystem was corrupted you had to
boot to single user mode in order to fix it manually. You had
every interest to keep your root filesystem small, simple and
static.

But times have changed. Nowadays, a system that has experienced
a power cut in full activity will come back up with hardly a
hiccup when power is restored. Dividing up your disks into
partitions has become a nuisance because there's always one
which is too small while others have space left. So it's gone
out of fashion. I haven't seen a Unix or Linux system with
separate / and /usr partitions in the last five years, and not
set one up myself for ten at least.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH