[CentOS] system date using ntp client is drifting

Mon Jun 4 20:27:48 UTC 2012
Nate Duehr <denverpilot at me.com>

On Jun 4, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a set of servers whose system time is drifting. I am running ntp
> client on CentOS 5.8. My config is here -> http://fpaste.org/s55U/
> Anything i am missing?

Fire up ntpq, and type "peers" and see if they're seeing their upstream servers.  If not, hunt down the firewall or other filter problem.

Additionally, ntp will refuse to sync if it's too far out.  Use ntpdate [server IP] to force the issue first. If the machines have a bad CMOS battery and won't keep time, ntpdate package can be configured to force time sync (which is a bad hack) at boot-time.

After getting the clock in sync, "hwclock --systohc" to push it into the CMOS clock.

Nate