[CentOS] any reliable FTP server with HTTPS/FTPS, commercial or not

Thu Jun 14 23:57:03 UTC 2012
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 06/15/2012 01:28 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> On 6/14/2012 7:23 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 06/14/12 4:08 PM, Gelen James wrote:
>>> Please check the wiki pagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FTP_server_software. There are so many choices
>>
>> psst?  most of those are for MS Windows, which doesn't come with a
>> decent FTP server built in.   many of them are commercial.     there's
>> really only a couple on that list suitable for a linux server, headed up
>> with vsftpd, the default ftp server in CentOS.
>>
> I do hear good things about ProFTP and actually have it on one of my new
> installs, but haven't yet messed with it. I found it odd that it didn't
> make the wiki list. Maybe some others can give some feedback on it?

If you are running a recent distro you should go with sftp. With the Match
directive you can even selectively create chroots for users and groups
which should cover most use-cases. FTP is just insecure (plaintext
passwords) and the secure variant FTPS makes firewall setups a pain because
the "fixes" for FTPs protocol layering violations (the conntrack and nat
modules for iptables) stop working.
Don't use FTP unless you absolutely have to.

Regards,
  Dennis