[CentOS] Failing Network card

Wed Jun 20 14:06:30 UTC 2012

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
<snip>
> I have been chasing a problem with a pci-e TrendNet(TEG-ECTX) gigabit
> card.  After adding the card to a machine with a new Centos 6.2 install
> and naming it 'eth4' it works well for 6 to 12 hours and then fails.
> The failure is characterized by dropping its connection speed from 1000
> to 100 while not allowing any data to flow in or out.  When this happens
> a shutdown and reboot does not solve the problem, but shutting down and
> then removing the power does solve the problem.
<snip>
> Some additional information that may be useful.  The TrendNet card is
> the second TrendNet card I have used.  The first card had the same
> symptoms, and I deduced the card was bad, and purchased another one. The
> symptoms are the same with the second card.
<snip>
Several questions: do you have another machine on the same network? Does
*it* show the problem, around the same time?

And, finally, did you buy both TrendNet cards from the same vendor? Are
their MACs close? If so, it could be the vendor got a bad batch, either
OEM's fault, or the gorilla who un/loaded it during shipping.

       mark