[CentOS] Failing Network card

Wed Jun 20 16:24:54 UTC 2012
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> <snip>
<snip>
>> Looks like addresses are close.
>
> So-so; not *that* close. I have some servers with two on-board NIC's whose
> MAC addresses end in things like fe:ab, fe:ac, fe;36, fe:37. Still....
>
> Actually, I missed the beginning of this thread. Are there no on-board
> NICs? I've not seen a m/b in a long time without that; even Rasberry Pi
> has one.
>
> There is an on board nic with the m/b.  Here is the mac entry of it.
<snip>
Are those in use? If not, why not use them?

       mark "I must be missing something"

Mark,

I have the m/b nic set as the external (open to the internet) card.  The
pci-e nic was set for the internal network card.  I had this machine set
to be a gateway for the rest of the internal machines.  I only have two
nics on this system, eth0 and eth4.  The reason it is labeled eth4 is
related to some installation problems I had during the installation of
the pci-e card.  Once I got eth4 to work, I have been too lazy to go
back and modify things to relabel it as eth1.  Now that it is failing, I
am glad I left it alone.

Greg