[CentOS] converting .doc to html

Fri Jun 22 15:29:47 UTC 2012

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
>>
>> Anyone got a preferred program or package for this? I'd like a *good*
>> one, and Word or OO.o's save as html in no way qualifies as other than
>> amateur crap.
>>
>> So far, with a little googling, I've found the wv package. wvHtml works,
>> but I don't like the output - it insists on <div>, and on &rhquo instead
>> of plain, simple ".
>
> I think Abiword can read and write those formats.

Given that both Word and OO.o produce such lousy, uselessly cluttered
html, I'm a tad loathe to install another wp... and I really just wanted a
command line conversion tool.

As a side note, I tried quanta about 6 years ago, and that did lousy
things to my html, too (going from edit to display and back, I think it
was, unformatted the *whole* document, left justifying all, even when I
*told* it to leave formatting...), so I'm not wildly crazed with web
editing programs.

As my own personal web page reads, "this page proudly built in vi"....

            mark