[CentOS] partitions vs. LVs [was: Re: How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2]

Sun Jun 24 21:23:36 UTC 2012
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 06/24/2012 12:42 PM Keith Roberts wrote:

> OK. But what about a drive that is already partitioned with
> live data on it. Is it easy to make that work with LVM, or
> does it mean I have to do a fresh installation to use LVM?

Keith,

AFAIK, you'd need to have spare disk space (which might mean, e.g.,
adding a disk, plugging in a thumb drive), temporarily copying the
partition there, then creating the physical volume, volume group, and
logical volume, then copying the data back into the LV.  To ensure data
integrity, you'd most likely want to bring the system down to
single-user mode when doing all of this.  If the partition you're
working on is read-only, and given you do the unmounting and mounting at
the right times, it would be possible to do this live.

hth,
ken