[CentOS] RAID?

Mon Jun 25 23:33:15 UTC 2012
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 06/26/2012 12:50 AM, Keith Keller wrote:

>>> Don't know where software RAID comes into play on AIX, but what is the
>>> difference of that command above to this one on CentOS 6?
>>>
>>>        # lvresize -L+2G -r VG_sys/LV_var
>>
>> does lvresize resize the file system while online? I didn't think it
>> did.  the man page for fsadm (referenced in the lvresize man page) says
>> ext2/3/4 is unmounted before resizing.   ooops.  kind of hard to umount
>> /var !
>
> My man page for fsadm (CentOS 6) implies that you need to provide -e in
> order for fsadm to umount an ext? filesystem before attempting the
> resize.  So in theory if you don't give -e it should resize while
> mounted.

I know that a combination of lvextend and resize2fs can be done online. I
regulary add new virtual disks to guests and then add the space to the root
partition in these guests in fact I just added 100G of space to a mongodb
VM a few minutes ago.
While I haven't used the -r switch yet I would think that it uses the same
mechanism and thus should do all its work online as well.

Regards,
  Dennis