[CentOS] Universal server hardware platform - which to choose?

Tue Jun 26 20:42:37 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 06/26/12 1:15 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> That's right, you
>> *did*  mention 2 or 4 U servers. Really, for what you want, you can get
>> in a 1U box.
>
> the decision of 1U vs 2U is largely driven by disk and IO card
> requirements.
>
> a 1U Intel server can take up to 4 3.5" or 8 2.5" hotswap drives, 2 CPU
> sockets (4 to 24 cores total), 18 or 24 dimms, and has 1-2 PCI-E slots
>
> a 2U can take as many as 12 3.5" or 24 2.5" drives, the same CPU/memory,
> and typically 4 PCI-E slots, although I've seen more.
>
> 3U/4U stuff is generally quad socket and a lot more expensive.

Heh, heh. We have a cluster of 22 servers. One has "only" eight cores. 11
more, I think, have 48 cores, and the latest 10 have 64 cores; I think
that's 12 core dies ("chips"). Everything except the first are all 1U.

        mark