[CentOS] Universal server hardware platform - which to choose?

Wed Jun 27 02:59:34 UTC 2012
Karl Vogel <vogelke+centos at pobox.com>

>> John R Pierce wrote:

J> The SuperMicro Intel stuff seems just fine.  I'd be more leary of AMD.

>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:39:06 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us said:

M> We've had a number of servers fail, and it *seems* to be related to the
M> motherboard.  In fact, I just got the pass, and asked the secretary to
M> call Fed Ex today to ship another one back to the vendor.

   Second that.  We bought three servers, and two failed due to motherboard
   problems.  A third one has performed beautifully for around 5 years.

   We had warranty support, but not directly from SuperMicro.  The reseller
   didn't return our calls, and after a short time their phone was disconnected
   because they went bankrupt.  No more warranty for us, too bad, so sad.

   Another thing to consider is the BIOS software; it was old when we bought
   the server, too old to handle drives > 1Tb 18 months after said drives
   had hit the market.

   I'd also second the "don't buy Sun/Oracle" recommendation.  Oracle isn't
   interested in anything but Fortune 50 business, and it shows.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

Linus Torvalds surfs the web using nothing but netcat.