[CentOS] Dovecot GUI

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Mar 6 01:41:53 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 05:22 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Nataraj wrote:
>

>> I would check the ownership and permissions of the mail directories and
>> files.  You might also try a different mail client.
> Thanks for your response.
> All the dovecot mail directories and files are in ~/Maildir ,
> and are owned by me, with all directories having 700 permission,
> and all files having 664 permssion.
Well that could be your problem.  What user and group is dovecot running
under?  In order for Dovecot to create a directory it has to have write
access to the parent directory.  Using the protection that you have set,
the only way dovecot would be able to create directories is running as
root or running under your private userid.  For security reasons I
wouldn't run dovecot as root.  On my system it runs as vpostmaster.  You
need to either have the mail directories and files owned by the dovecot
user or ensure that dovecot has group access to both directories and
files.  And yes I have created new folders with mkdir.  As long as you
don't mess up the index files you are ok, and even there, you can simply
delete and rebuild them.  The folder names begin with a '.', so a
directory named '.foo' will be a folder named foo.  A directory with a
name of '.foo.bar' will create a subfolder of the directory foo called bar.

Nataraj