[CentOS] CentOS 6.2 software raid 10 with LVM - Need help with degraded drive and only one MBR

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Tue Mar 6 16:12:35 UTC 2012

On 2.3.2012 22:18, Digimer wrote:
> On 03/02/2012 04:00 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:

>> Bowie, in terms of RAID 10, each drive technically cant be standalone
>> right? The drives are striped and mirrored.
>
> 10 (one-zero) == a mirror of two stripped arrays. You can lose up to two
> drives, so long as they are both from the same strip set.

10 is a stripe of two mirrors, but anyway, there is more to it because
mdraid 10 is another beast. Unfortunate naming!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#Linux_MD_RAID_10

So one has to ask everytime what is meant, a standard layered raid 10 or
a mdraid 10.

> As I understand it though, I thought that /boot could only exist on RAID
> 1 vanilla.

I think this is correct. Because of this I also think that the OP has
bigger problems than the just the MBR. Where is his /boot gone?

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb