[CentOS] xfs, inode64, and NFS

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Wed Mar 7 06:40:40 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
| On Mar 6, 2012, at 6:59 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
| wrote:
|
| > On 03/06/12 3:51 PM, Ross Walker wrote:
| >> Is there a need for inode64? Is it too late to back-out of it, or
| >> have you pickled the file system already.
| >
| > as i undertsand it, you need inode64 on any XFS file system over
| > 2TiB,
| > and ours is 74TiB.
|
| Ah, as I understood it it was only needed if the number of inodes
| fills up what can be held by a 32-bit counter, the documentation is
| a little weak here.
|
| -Ross

I've had to use inode64 on far smaller file systems (15TB) due to inode counts (many files) and not file system size.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington