[CentOS] md raid 10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:37:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> If the future continues anything like the past, you'll be be able to
>> buy something new with twice the speed and 10x the space by then and
>> be better off starting over than allocating more than you need today.
>
> a) You think I, or a *lot* of other folks, are going to do that at home?
>       (Please - I'm trying to get my fiancee to at *least* go from
>        *shudder* Vista to Win7)

If you leave them on, add up the power cost of running an old box for years.

> b) I'm a federal contractor, on site. You think the Republicans in
>       Congress are going to increase our budget, to replace all servers
>       over three or four years old?

Yes, if someone does the report to show that it will save money in the
big picture...  But you don't necessarily throw out the 3 year old
boxes, you can re-purpose them to something where people aren't
waiting idly for their results, keeping some others for spare parts.
In any case, someone should be accounting for the space/power/cooling
that old hardware takes while accomplishing 10% as much as new.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com