[CentOS] File permissions

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Sat Mar 10 18:48:44 EST 2012

Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net> wrote:

How is this possible?  If it is possible what am I missing or not
understanding?  Thnx.

Lamar Owen nailed it in his post: renaming a file means updating its
directory entry and hence requires write permission on the directory, not
the file - which you have as a result of the "other" permissions on the

drwxrwxrwx   7 root root  4096 Mar 10 13:35 temp

If you want the full story, I have an article on my web site (part of a
magazine series I wrote, years ago) which explains permissions in detail:

(Other articles are at http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/Linux?OpenView)

--- Les Bell
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144