[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

Michael Schumacher michael.schumacher at pamas.de
Mon Mar 12 03:44:34 EDT 2012

On Monday, March 12, 2012 you wrote:

>> What do you guys recommend for backing up a small CentOS server in a
>> business environment.  It will have (3) 300gb drives in a raid 5 array but I
>> don't anticipate more than about 25gb of data that needs to be backed up
>> each night.

> I stumbled on http://storebackup.org/ the other day. It looks pretty good for
> disc-disc backup.

I am using storeBackup for three years now and LOVE it. I am backing
up three servers to two independent backup servers and get a new
backup every four hours. storeBackup uses hard links on the target
disk, so you do not need much physical space on the backup servers. A
backup of a 250GB server takes less than 15 minutes.

This is certainly no solution if you need an insurance against
hardware failures, but it is a perfect backup to store densely older
versions of the server content.

Having the servers and the backup servers on RAID6 and having
storeBackup makes me sleep well.

best regards
Michael Schumacher
PAMAS Partikelmess- und Analysesysteme GmbH
Dieselstr.10, D-71277 Rutesheim
Tel +49-7152-99630
Fax +49-7152-996333
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Schreck