[CentOS] postfix and spam, I am impressed

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Mon Mar 12 22:39:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:12:13 -0400
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:

> On my centos 5 server I just used sendmail with spamassassin and it
> killed a lot. Still, 100s, sometimes more made it through. Then
> thunderbird would weed out more, learned as it went...
> Still, had an inbox with a lot of junk.

Maybe you should read some http://www.acme.com/mail_filtering/ ... altough
from 2005, one of the best sendmail writeups I'm aware of.

> Now I have set up a centos 6 box using postfix. Today I decided to try
> to add smtpd restrictions. After a lot of reading and testing I 'seem'
> to be doing incredible.

I've switched to postfix back in 2001 and yes, it is amazing. Now that
you're free of spam, you can dive into policyd and various content
filtering schemes available. It's amazing how far email has come, yet it's
even more amazing that none of the major linux distros have everything in
one place, well integrated and polished and we poor sysadmins still have to
stich solutions together ... heck, I still have to patch sasl for it to
auth against crypted passwords ... maybe I should stop before I start
ranting ;)

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org