[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 22:29:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at> wrote:
> On 13.3.2012 19:46, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Markus Falb wrote:
>>> What about if a firmware bug destroys all data on day XXX on all
>>> harddisks ? Well, extra paranoid maybe and of course I have not thought
>>> of all possible things that *could* happen.
>>
>> Are you saying that you only buy one model from one maker? In the
>> mid-nineties, every ISP in Chicago dumped *all* of their SCSI Seagate
>> Barracudas for failures.
>
> Well, take it one step further. What if the bad bug were not in the
> firmware but in software (kernel?)

So a bug in linux that on some future date will eat all your disks?
Something to think about, I guess...  For a more generic bug that
happens immediately, someone would notice before it makes it to
CentOS.    The more likely bug  would be in the person setting up the
backup software.  But regular test testores can catch those.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com