[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Mar 15 20:35:27 UTC 2012

On 03/15/12 1:20 PM, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> But, on the 7 track, it used a 6 bit character set that excluded
> lower case, eg was only upper case alpha, decimal digits and special
> characters.   I don't remember how binary was encoded on them,
> probably pairs of 6 bit 'bytes' since the PPs were 12 bit 'machine'.

now that I think about it, the BCD I remember *was* a 6 bit code, with
just the core 64 characters.   and the CDC machines I remember were
30/60 bit word sizes and the PPs were 12 bit... machines like the CDC
6600.  so the 6 bit character code fed nicely into 7 track tape (6 bits
plus parity).    yes, this was 1960s hardware, still in use in the
early/mid 70s, IIRC, that 6600 was largely used to support a 7600.

anyways.  ancient history.  i'd have said 'been there, done that, got
the t-shirt', except I wore those t-shirts out 30 years ago.