[CentOS] 3TB usb drive won't mount

Bent Terp

bent at terp.se
Thu Mar 22 12:21:31 UTC 2012

Hi list!

I have a 3TB usb drive with an NTFS filesystem on it, that I can't mount.:
[bent at bnlaptop ~]$ sudo /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt
Failed to read vcn 0xf28: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

On a Win7 machine there are no problems and chkdsk can't find anything
wrong with the filesystem.

I can mount 1TB drives using ntfs-3g without problems, so the driver
doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've tried both CentOS6.2 and Fedora16 with the same result.

Any suggestions?

with kind regards,
  Bent Terp