[CentOS] Ndiswrapper refuses to install?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:28:46 UTC 2012

On Friday, 23. March 2012. 14.36.26 Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> This time I was hoping to make it work again in the same way. But the
> >> "yum
> >> install kmod-ndiswrapper" reports the following (among other regular
> >> stuff):
> >>
> >> And yum refuses to install it. I've never seen this kind of report by
> >> yum.
> >> What's going on here? And more importantly, how do I install
> >> kmod-ndiswrapper on my up-to-date CentOS 6.2?
> >
> > That is odd. What is your kernel?
> >
> > uname -mri

That would be the latest regular CentOS 6.2 kernel:

# uname -mri
2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.i686 i686 i386

> > Also, there is some chance that you can find a driver for your
> > wireless USB dongle. That would eliminate the need for ndiswrapper.
> > Please give more detailed info. Output from the lsusb command will be
> > useful.

lsusb didn't provide any nontrivial output (it reported all USB ports as
empty). There was something nontrivial going on in /var/log/messages about
kernel not being able to recognize the device or something, but I cannot
remember it now.

But Ned Slider suggested the kmod-compat-wireless package from elrepo-testing,
and after that both /var/log/messages and lsusb reported the proper device
(see my response to Ned for details). And it appears to be working fine (so
far, I am yet to try to connect with it...).

> OK, just found that version of kmod-ndiswrapper would not install in
> CentOS 6.2 kernels.
>
> I still hope you don't have to use ndiswrapper.

Of course, it is always much better if there are native drivers available. And
I'll settle even for the kmod-compat-wireless if it works. The ndiswrapper
solution was the last resort, but in the end it seems I won't need it, which
is great! :-)

Anyway, thanks for help!

Best, :-)
Marko