[CentOS] Need help configuring wireless NIC

Marko Vojinovic

vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:35:43 UTC 2012

Hi everyone! :-)

Yesterday I managed to find a driver for my USB wireless dongle, and it is now
correctly recognized by the kernel. However, I don't know how to configure it.

The system-config-network opens up in text mode and is not very forthcoming (it
lists ethernet, ISDN and modem as possibilities for configuring a new device).
I don't know how to create an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-whatever
manually for my wireless card. NetworkManager doesn't see the device since the
ifcfg* script doesn't exist. What am I supposed to do? (Google also didn't
help...).

The device is listed by lsusb as:

# lsusb | grep 802
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1286:1fab Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. 88W8338
[Libertas] 802.11g

The libertas kernel module is loaded:

# lsmod | grep liber
libertas              105931  0
cfg80211              164625  1 libertas
lib80211                4194  1 libertas

How do I find out the name of the device, and how do I create the ifcfg script
properly?

Best, :-)
Marko