[CentOS] your advice on backup procedure

Karl Vogel vogelke+centos at pobox.com
Sun Mar 25 03:02:40 UTC 2012

>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:48:15 -0400,
>> Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> said:

B> When I figure this out, perfectly, I should post it all so others can
B> have a backup solution. I have over 40 linux books and not one really
B> goes into backups. They mention them, but no working examples of merit.

   Backup & Recovery: Inexpensive Backup Solutions for Open Systems
   W. Curtis Preston
   Paperback: 768 pages
   Publisher: O'Reilly Media; 1 edition (January 10, 2007)
   ISBN-10: 0596102461
   ISBN-13: 978-0596102463

   Taken from the book description:

   * Covers tar, dump, cpio, ntbackup, ditto, and rsync.

   * Explains several open source backup products that automate backups using
     those utilities, including AMANDA, Bacula, BackupPC, rdiff-backup, and
     rsnapshot.

   * How to perform bare metal recovery of AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Mac OS, Solaris,
     VMWare, & Windows systems using freely-available utilities.

   * How to automate DB2, Exchange, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL-Server,
     and Sybase backups without using a commercial backup product.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company