[CentOS] A problem with power outages

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Mon Mar 26 11:39:28 UTC 2012

Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> Another approach is to buy a remote power switch.
> With it, basically you can remotely "power cycle" the server :)
> It will solve any hang problem just as if you are there :)

I have actually tried this.
I bought a very cheap ($20) device from China
which is supposed to switch the power on and off
when it receives a GSM message.
But to date I haven't been able to get it to work.
(The instructions are in a language midway between English and Chinese.)

I've decided UPS is a more reliable solution.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net