[CentOS] parallel bash scripts

Mark LaPierre

marklapier at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 01:37:21 UTC 2012

Check out the redirection at the end of each command.  1>&2 redirects
the standard out of your child command to the standard error which then
appears in the parent shell.  At the end the last & launches your
command into a background shell and then moves on to launch the next
command.  The redirections don't care if the command ever terminates.

The result is that both commands are launched and the parent shell
terminates leaving the standard error attached to the terminal that the
parent was launched in.