[CentOS] wiki - vnc -gerald and walsh, update?

Fri Mar 23 02:26:26 UTC 2012
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

To GeraldClark and PjWelsh,
I have centos 6 and used your guide to get it going with vnc.
First of all thanks for putting that up, so many techs told me I did not
have to install a desktop to make it work and they were so wrong.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

Using centos 6 I found some differences and wanted to post them here to
see if anything helps clear it all up.

I acutally installed x windows system and 'desktop' groups since that is
what worked with my ipmi card.
I installed tigervnc-server as root, ran vncpasswd as root, got a password.
started/stopped just like it said to, so far so good.

opened port 5902
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5902 -j ACCEPT

in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers I added root and had to take out
"-localhost" or I could never connect via vncviewer, completely blocked
unless both were taken out. I imagine there is some setting somehow in
vncviewer but I cannot find it.
I am assuming I am still unencrypted in my connection due to this.

now it gets weird, perhaps due to me installing x windows system...here
is my startx file, completely different than the one you posted...and I
changed nothing and it worked.

#!/bin/sh

[ -r /etc/sysconfig/i18n ] && . /etc/sysconfig/i18n
export LANG
export SYSFONT
vncconfig -iconic &
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
OS=`uname -s`
if [ $OS = 'Linux' ]; then
   case "$WINDOWMANAGER" in
     *gnome*)
       if [ -e /etc/SuSE-release ]; then
         PATH=$PATH:/opt/gnome/bin
         export PATH
       fi
       ;;
   esac
fi
if [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ]; then
   exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
fi
if [ -f /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ]; then
   exec sh /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
fi
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

My issue still revolves around the actual encryption. There seems to be
nothing in vncviewer allowing it. There is something in your post about
the ssh, but it references only another vnc server.

so, is the only way to get an ssh connection is to download a windows
vncserver, and connect with that to the vncserver on my linux box? (box
is on the internet, not local)

anyway, this helpful how to really saves a lot of time, really debunked
a lot of myths about not needing a desktop installed (which was really
furstrating trying to make it work without one).

Centos 6 is a bit different in that one file...and it would be great to
know how to connect though ssh with a viewer.

still, it freaking works!!