[CentOS] Postfix problems with maximum messages size

Wed Mar 28 13:44:32 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

CentOS-6.2

I am confused.  I need to accept messages somewhat larger
than the default 10M allowed by Postfix.  However,
changing the message_size_limit in /etc/postfix/main.cf is
having no effect.

Squirrelmail is configured to accept and transmit messages
up to 24M and this identical configuration is working on a
Sendmail installation.  So the problem appears to me to be
strictly at Postfix matter.

# grep message_size_limit /etc/postfix/*
/etc/postfix/main.cf:message_size_limit = 20480000

# postfix reload
postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system

# postconf -n | grep size_limit
message_size_limit = 20480000

smtp message generated to squirrelmail client

Message not sent. Server replied:

    Requested mail action aborted: exceeding storage
allocation
    552 5.2.3 Message exceeds maximum fixed size (12000000)

What is going on?  Why am I unable to have configured
limit of 20M take effect?

Canada  L8E 3C3