[CentOS] CentOS 6.2 software raid 10 with LVM - Need help with degraded drive and only one MBR

Fri Mar 2 14:34:10 UTC 2012

Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> I have a dedicated server with 4 hard drives in a RAID 10 software
> configuration running LVM. My OS is CentOS 6.2. Earlier today, I
> rebooted my system and my system did not come back online. I opened a
> ticket with my datacenter who informed me that one of my hard drives is
> no longer recognized by the bios and has failed. I was told that an OS
> reinstall was needed.
>
> I don't understand why a reinstall would be necessary when the drives
> are in RAID 10. Apparently when the datacenter did the initial OS
> install, they ONLY installed the MBR on one drive instead of all 4
> leaving the other 3 drives unbootable.
<snip>
Whatever the outcome, I would strongly recommend escalating this to a
manager, since the staff installed it incorrectly - perhaps they don't
understand what a RAID is? But they need to make this right - you're
paying for it.

Besides, it's not Windows....

         mark