[CentOS] CentOS 6.2 software raid 10 with LVM - Need help with degraded drive and only one MBR

Sat Mar 3 17:49:06 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Robert Spangler
<mlists at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Do not let them tell you that you cannot boot from a software raid.  I do it
> here all the time.  The /boot has to be on a raid1 setup to boot.  Everything
> else can be on a whatever raid you choose.

You don't actually boot from a raid1, you boot from one of the
mirrored partitions that happens to look enough like a normal non-raid
partition to work.   And it is up to the bios on the machine to try
the 2nd copy if the 1st drive fails, and grub has to be installed on
the 2nd drive and configured to identify the drive the same way bios
will after the failure (which I don't think is always the same and may
even depend on the type of failure).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com