[CentOS] md raid 10

Thu Mar 8 14:33:37 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/08/12 4:39 AM, mark wrote:
>> VM's? Sorry, we're doing very serious scientific computing - the couple
>> or so VMs we had are going away. I mean, when, for example, one guy I
>> support gets on a 48 core box, and proceeds to fire up an R job, and
>> uses*all*  of them.... Plus, we're running out of UPSs to stick them on
>> to, and sockets to reach....
>
> ok, so 3 x 48/64 core servers uses the same power as 6 x 4/8 core ?
> thats still major win.

Um, no - that's what I'm saying is *not* the case. The new suckers drink
power - using a UPS that I could hang, say, 6 Dell 1950's off of, *if* I'm
lucky, I can put three of the new servers. And at that, if a big jobs
running (they very much vary in how much power they draw, depending on
usage), even with only three on, I've seen the leds run up to where
they're blinking, indicating it's near overload, over 90% capability.

        mark